Monday, May 27, 2019

5th Grade Math Review Olympics

Our end of year state testing kind of snuck up on me this year and I wanted to come up with an easy and fun way for my students to review the math topics we had covered throughout the school year.

Enter, the Math Olympics MCAP Review! I created 10 "events" that the students needed to complete. Because all of my students work at different paces when it comes to math, I did not make this a race to see who could finish first. The goal was for ALL of my students to finish all 10 events during the two days that they had to complete the tasks. I allowed the students to work with a partner, but each student had to complete the task. As groups started to finish on the second day, I asked them to then go and help other groups that needed support with the events. Again, our goal was for ALL of the students to finish all 10 events.

Here is a description of each event:

Event #1 - Place Value
Place Value Sort

Event #2 - Expressions
This activity is from Laura Candler. Before making copies, I solved the last 3 expressions and made sure to make a mistake each time. (Order of Operations activity)

Event #3 - Multiplication
Page 12 of the PDF has the handout for this event. The students have to solve a multiplication problem using the area model.

Event #4 - Division
This activity is from Jennifer Findley. Visit the website here to get the activity. I chose one of the problems to use for this event.

Event #5 - Rounding
This activity is from Jennifer Findley. Visit the website here to get the activity.

Event #6 - Add or Subtract
Page 13 of the PDF has the handout for this event. The students read the two word problems and determine if they need to add or subtract, then solve the problem.

Event #7 - Fractions #1
This activity is from Jennifer Findley (Are you noticing a trend? She has amazing stuff!). Visit the website here to get the activity. I chose the Fraction Review page for this event and one of the dice that has different denominators on it.

Event #8 - Fractions #2
This activity is from Jennifer Findley. Visit the website here to get the activity. I copied a few of each activity and the students got to choose which one they wanted to solve.

Event #9 - Decimals
This activity is one that I purchased from Scholastic a while back, which means I am not able to share it on here. The concept is that there is a grocery cart with different items that could be bought. The items either cost a certain amount per pound or are on sale, for example, 3 for $5. The students have to answer questions about how much it would cost to buy 3 pounds of an item or for the sale item, how much it would cost for one of those items.

Event #10 - Volume
Page 14 of the PDF has the handout for this event. The students need to follow the directions to solve the two volume problems.


Click the image above or here for the PDF version of this activity that has the directions for each event.

No comments:

Post a Comment