Sunday, September 1, 2024

Back to School Math Activities

Here are some math activities to do the first week of school that allow students to get to know each other by working together and you to get to know your students through observation and conferring.

Set up your math classroom community through teaching math norms. I use the math norms that we used when I taught in Maryland. They come from the SFUSD and can be found here.

image from SFUSD


Each day I do a different activity to help students practice that norm. Some of the activities include:
  • Use tangrams to complete different challenges (there are plenty online for all age levels for free!)
    • make sure to have a discussion afterwards about the challenges and how it feels when we make mistakes or when math gets frustrating and what students can do when this happens
    • this is also a time to discuss expectations for math tools

  • Introduce math/number talks to get students talking about each other's thinking (here are some examples to get started)
    • use this time to set up routines and expectations for math/number talks and discuss stems students can use to agree/disagree, add on, or explain
    • here is a resource of sentence stems students can put on their desk or math notebook

  • Use an activity from Building Thinking Classrooms to get students working together and show off their problem solving abilities
    • This is also a great time for the teacher to model the asking questions norm and have students practice asking questions as well

  • Give students a task that allows them to model using multiple representations. This will look different depending on the grade level and your curriculum as this is a great time to kick off your first unit with some review
    • At my current school where I teach 4th grade, we have students use 36 tiles and ask them to design rectangles that use all 36 tiles. Students can attempt to make a connection to multiplication and arrays from grade 3.
    • You could also give students a word problem and tell them that they can solve it using any strategy they would like and then have students share

  • The last thing I do during the first week of school to get to know my students is a math screener. I use this on the day I introduce that math norm that answers are important, but they are not the math.
    • I explain to students that if they don't show me their thinking using math then I can't help if they make an error.

  • I also use the first week of school to introduce math games. I choose a topic that students should already be familiar with so that we can focus on practicing the expectations for math games. This is a great time to again practice routines for getting materials and cleaning up



No comments:

Post a Comment