Sunday, September 8, 2024

Classroom Library Organization

This year I decided to redo my classroom library organization. Books are organized by genre or by series, so I created genre posters to help kids learn about the different types of books. New organization means new resources to share!


Book Buddy

My classroom library has been my pride and joy since I first started teaching. Facebook Marketplace, yard sales, and McKay's Used Book store are great places to look to get used books. If you work in a title 1 school you can also sign up for First Book Marketplace to get new books for really great prices.

I can be a little Type A, so I also use an app called Book Buddy to keep track of my books. You can easily add books to the inventory by scanning the barcode on the back of the book or doing a search online. You can set it up to have students check out books from your classroom library, but I use it more often to see if I have a book that a student wants to read. Unfortunately, the app is only available on Apple products and it does cost a one-time fee of $4.99, but compared to the free versions it was worth it in my opinion.

Book Bin Labels

I created the book bin labels to match the genre posters below. I like to organize my classroom library by genre or content area. The chapter books will each have a bin for the genre, unless I have enough of a book series to create their own bin. The picture books are organized by content area (ie. math, social studies). Click the link above to download your own copy of the labels.

Genre Posters

I created these posters as a fun way to learn about the different genres. I wanted them to look like movie posters and Canva made that possible! Click the link above to download your own copy of the posters.







No comments:

Post a Comment