Thursday, January 21, 2021

Repost - Reflecting on the Past Decade

Since I started a new blog, I wanted to bring this post over to this one because I always enjoy looking back at where I've started and where I'm heading.

This is something we need to keep in mind with our kids and students. Everyone is on their own path and everyone has a different starting point. So what looks like growth for one person or child may look completely different for another person or child. Celebrate the small journeys along the path and keep it moving forward.

Little did I know that 2020 was going to be one heck of a year, but it is still fun to go back and read what all has happened.


I often reflect at the end of each year about all of the things that have happened, however on Twitter I started seeing people reflect on the past decade and I realized A LOT has happened since 2010.

2010 - I graduated from George Mason with a Masters degree, started my first big girl job teaching third grade, and bought my first car

2011 - Started off the year by losing my grandfather. This is also the year my future husband made me a Phillies fan. We traveled to Pennsylvania A LOT, met so much new family, went to a ton of baseball games in Philly, NY, Baltimore, and DC, and watched my future sister-in-law get married.

2012 - Traveled to even more baseball games thanks to my baseball loving boyfriend (Pittsburgh and Atlanta checked off the list), got ENGAGED, and also lost my soon-to-be father-in-law.

2013 - Such an amazing year, got married, traveled out of the country for the first time (Jamaica for our honeymoon), bought a house and moved to a new state, traveled to Nashville (my home away from home) twice, went to 3 other weddings, and finally got a new teaching job in Maryland

2014 - This was a year full of love being showered on us as we awaited the arrival of our baby girl on Thanksgiving Day. With every up there always seems to be a down, I also lost my grandfather after a long battle with Parkinson's and Dementia.

2015 - Loved watching our daughter change so much in the first year of her life, took her on her first plane ride to Nashville, and I also saw my first Broadway show in NYC

2016 - A year full of travel! My husband and I went to Aruba, we took our daughter to Ohio, Virginia, Ocean Isle Beach, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, and we announced our family would be growing. I also got to see my little sister get married!

2017 - We welcomed our son in June! I got to participate in my best friend's wedding (at 7 months pregnant ha). I decided to go back to school for my Administration certificate. I learned that postpartum depression is real and that it is absolutely ok to ask for help. We also learned that the terrible 2's are not really that terrible compared to the 3's...

2018 - A year full of family, friends, and travel. Went to Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania with a 1 year old and 3.5 year old (thank goodness they are good travelers!) and my husband and I also got to travel to the Dominican Republic.

2019 - This has been the most challenging year of the decade. A year of change at work, completing my administration internship, so many sick days between myself and the kids, too many great people taken from us by cancer.

This past decade has been a year of growth. I've seen my career take off. I've seen my family grow, from bringing two families together with our marriage to watching our own little family grow with our kids. I've traveled to places I never thought I would go.

I am so looking forward to 2020 and this next decade. I think we have some big plans coming our way and I am just taking everything day by day and soaking in every moment.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year (and new decade)!

Instagram: @mrspotterstyle
Twitter: @apotter730


No comments:

Post a Comment