Thursday, December 24, 2020

Bittersweet Christmas

First of all, to my readers who are currently celebrating one of the winter holidays, I hope you are having a Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, or Happy Kwanzaa.

This Christmas is a little bittersweet for me. Ever since I was a little kid, I always spent Christmas with my extended family. Large gatherings with aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. Once I started dating my now husband, we also continued this tradition. We rotate one year with his family in PA and one year in NC with my family. Obviously this year is going to be different. No traveling to be with family. No large gatherings.

At first, I was upset. I absolutely LOVE spending this season with family. Then I realized that this year has been a year of appreciating the small things. Now, instead of being upset, I am appreciating our little family and the fact that this is the first time we will ever spend Christmas in our own house. Our kids are currently 6 and 3, so they are such a fun age with the Christmas traditions.

We are going to bake cookies, watch movies, eat popcorn, go look at Christmas lights, cook a delicious Christmas dinner, and of course what the kids are most excited about... open presents. It will be nice to go to sleep in our own beds, stay in pajamas all day, and the kids can play with their new stuff rather than packing everything up in the car to drive home.

So as I continue to appreciate the little things this year, I hope that you also are able to celebrate this holiday season in some way.

ALSO, to all my fellow educators out there. Please make sure you are taking some time for yourself this winter break. Keep the computer closed. Those emails, grades, plans, etc. will all be waiting for you on January 4. 

Instagram: @mrspotterstyle
Twitter: @apotter730


No comments:

Post a Comment