Thursday, December 17, 2020

Setting Boundaries (Again)

Well this blog post didn't age well...

In December I wrote a blog post about how I was learning to say no. It was making my life much less stressful by putting myself first, especially at work. I had learned that I can say no to something and life will go on.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a book called Boundaries on Amazon Prime. I added it to my library and started reading it as I finished my previous book. (One of my 2020 goals is to read more for pleasure.)


This book confirmed everything I had been feeling this school year. I was learning to set boundaries in my work life. I was learning that when you set a boundary, not everyone is going to like it, but if they truly respect your relationship they will understand.

This book touches on more than just work. It focused on friends, family, children, significant others, and more. While I was working on setting my boundaries at work, this helped me also look at all aspects of my life and where else I needed to work on boundaries.

I am starting 2020 off much happier than I was about 5 months ago and I can’t wait to see what the rest of this year brings!

Little did I know just how much this book would help me in 2020, as I was plunged into working from home in March with both of my children at home with me. (bring on the wine!)

I learned just how important setting boundaries would be when you are stuck in your house 24/7. I had to establish a true work-life balance. I was no longer leaving my house for work, which meant that my work was always right there and easy to access. It was important for me and more importantly for my children's sake to learn how to balance my time. 

I had to make time for them. I had to set those boundaries that said I was only working from this time to this time and that I needed to actually make time for them. This was extremely tough on my kids as well. They were used to socializing and now they were stuck at home. They were used to being somewhere else when I was working and now they had to understand that it wasn't a weekend day where mommy is off, that I am actually working while I am home with them.

We set a schedule, we set some boundaries, and we made it work. I recommend this book for all those who have been thrust into working from home. 

On a bright note, my goal for 2020 was to read more. That is one thing that I actually accomplished this year! :-)

Instagram: @mrspotterstyle
Twitter: @apotter730



No comments:

Post a Comment