Wednesday, July 29, 2020

5th Grade Math Anchor Charts

I have put together a Google presentation with all of the anchor charts I use in my 5th grade math classroom.

In the classroom I would use these for interactive notebooks, print out on colorful paper and display in the classroom, or use them to make "anchor charts to-go". The great thing about these anchor charts is that they can easily be printed in different sizes. They are formatted to fit 1 on a normal 8.5 by 11 inch paper. However, you can easily change the size by going to File and selecting Print Settings. Where it says 1 slide per page, when you click it gives you a drop down of options. I would choose Handout - 2 or 4 slides per page. If you go any smaller it will be too difficult to read the charts. You can also toggle the size by changing the layout from landscape to portrait.

If you are doing distance learning, you can easily copy and paste a slide from this presentation into another presentation. I am probably going to create interactive notebooks for my students to use digitally (I foresee a future blog post coming), so I plan to copy and paste these anchor charts as we cover the topics.

A side note about anchor charts...
Usually I like to create my anchor charts with my students in the classroom. However, with distance learning this is going to be a bit more challenging. I prefer to explore a topic and allow the students try to figure out how to solve something before just showing them step-by-step how to do it. I would not recommend just showing your students these anchor charts to have them use to solve a problem. In my experience, they need to be explained and taught how to solve a specific problem first and then the anchor chart is used as a reference for future attempts at solving problems.

As mentioned this presentation focuses on 5th grade math standards (maybe if I have time I will try to work on lower grades). I keep my anchor charts basic because as I said I usually like to print them on bright, colorful paper.

The charts included are:
  • Multiplication (algorithm, area model, and partial products)
  • Division (algorithm, area model, and partial quotients)
  • Place Value
  • Powers of 10
  • Multiplying by Powers of 10
  • Dividing by Powers of 10
  • Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, and Dividing Decimals
  • Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, and Dividing Fractions
  • Volume (counting cubes and formula)
  • Coordinate Grids
  • Order of Operations
  • Quadrilateral Hierarchy
23 charts total!


Click on any of the images above to get your free copy!

Instagram: @mrspotterstyle

No comments:

Post a Comment