Thursday, July 30, 2020

Technology Spotlight: Book Creator

I found out about Book Creator a few years ago and absolutely love it!


I definitely used it more when I taught all subjects, especially for reading, science, and social studies. However, I am determined to fit it into my math classes this school year.

I put together this presentation for my school on how to get Book Creator set up in the classroom and some basics for creating a book.


In the presentation is also a blog post from Book Creator for 50 ways to use this technology tool in the classroom.

Here are a few ways that I have used it:
  • publishing writing pieces (I prefer to give my students an option when publishing, so this was always an option for them)
  • creating an alphabet book for the end of year vocabulary review
  • students write a short biography or about me book for the beginning of the school year
  • used as an option for publishing a science project about ecosystems
One of the cool things about this technology tool is being able to import items into the books. Students can search for a image using google search directly in the tool, embed a google map (great for social studies and science!), insert a file from the computer or google drive, or embed a webpage. 

When I first started using this I was worried I was going to have to take time to teach the students how to use it, but I found that they were easily able to figure out the different tools on their own. (side note - I do teach 5th grade, but I feel like the younger kids could handle it too)

Book Creator has a resources section of their website for teachers. You are able to search resources by grade level or subject. They even have student examples to view.

This technology tool is definitely a tool to check out, especially with the possibility of virtual learning this fall!

Instagram: @mrspotterstyle

No comments:

Post a Comment